New Year = New Adventures

Happy 2010 to you and your loved ones! I decided to start this new year with a new "look" for my blog. I will gladly admit my "blogging" and "html" skills are severely lacking so I am embarrassed to say how long it took to get my new template up and running; I hope you enjoy it so it was worth the effort!

In honor of the new year in this new city, I attended a New Year's Eve Party, hosted by an American guy who is a friend-of-a-friend. I went, only knowing two people at the party and hoping to meet a few new friends. Little did I know, I would end up meeting two people who moved from Saipan just months before I arrived in 2002! The couple in the picture below were at the party with 12 other members of their family, who were visiting for Christmas break. I met this woman who was talking about her sister who lives here now and how they really didn't think they could afford to bring their entire family to Egypt but didn't want to pass up the opportunity since they missed out visiting Saipan. I let the sentence process and repeated it in my brain before stopping her to say, "Did you say, 'Saipan'?" (Most people call it Taipei and few even know where it is located, much less have family who have lived there!) Needless to say, I had a wonderful time meeting the couple who lived on Saipan and sharing fond memories of the people and restaurants we enjoyed while living on the island. I definitely think I met my quota of a "few new friends" since they have 7 in their family! :)



2009 - A Time to Reflect
As a year comes to an end, I always try to reflect on the previous year and examine the challenges, as well as the blessings, God provided during the previous 12 months...2009 was a whirlwind for me as I logged approximately 700 hours of travel time for my beloved agency, tried to keep up with near and dear family and friends, moved to a new country for a new job, and tried (still trying) to adjust to a new life and career change in a very large city. I will remember 2009 as a year of change and transition. However, I was reminded yesterday at my new-found church, we are not expected to have a trouble-free, easy-going life. Challenges and experiences are what molds us into the individuals God wants. What would be our purpose in life if we weren't working to improve ourselves, our relationships, and our world? His sermon was based on Ecclesiastes 3:1-9,
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die;
A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which was planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal;
A time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
A time to get, and a time to lose;
A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
A time to rend, and a time to sew;
A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
A time to love, and a time to hate;
A time of war, and a time of peace..."

I can think of instances for each of these "times" from 2009...the passing of my grandmother and the birth of a dear friend's baby; marriages of my brother (and new sister) and best friend; a friendship that needed some attention and a dear friend who just needed a hug; a friend who helped me see there were some items in my life that needed to be purged and some treasured items I should keep to remain as fun memories of my childhood.

All of these experiences, some more painful than others, have made me what I am today--January 2, 2010. These challenges and triumphs provide the tools for more challenges and adventures in the months ahead. I do not know what 2010 will have in store for me but I do know I am wiser based on the challenges and circumstances from 2009.

I hope you take some time to reflect on the experiences you had in the last 12 months and anticipate the year ahead....

Philippians 1:6 "...being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

0 comments:

Post a Comment